Friday 19 December 2008

On all things Christmassy!

(These photos are a little old, but bear with me, the camera's charging!)

Well, we've finally got the tree from outside;


To inside:


There is the usual discussion about how to include us vegetarians in the festive fare, best summed up here



And just in case you wanted to know more about my family's bizare Christmas rituals:

The Holiday Version Meme


Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Hmmmm! It’s got to be hot chocolate, because we don’t really get egg nog over here. I also love mulled wine and cider. Oh, and those lovely syrups you get for coffee - gingerbread latte, mmmmm!

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree?

Don’t be silly! He wraps the presents and puts them in the stockings at the end of people’s beds. Everyone knows that!

Coloured lights on tree or white?

Either! I’m easy on the Christmas light thing! As long as it's muted. I can't stand anything that's lit up like an airport runway!

When do you put your decorations up?

Oh, some point before Christmas!

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

That’s tricky! Do mince pies count as dessert? If not then I’ll have those, please!

Favorite Holiday memory as a child:

My Grandma’s Hogmanay parties (New Years Eve was her birthday).
Lots of nice food and couples dancing the Gay Gordons in the hallway.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

Can’t honestly remember.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

No, no,no!
We open stockings in the morning of Christmas Day. Then after Christmas dinner we go and sit round the tree and open our presents as a family. 
We're big on delayed gratification and making it last all day!

How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

Bring the decorations and the tree together at warp speed and see what sticks. Anything that can be shaken off gets swept back into the box for next year.

Snow... Love it or Dread it?

Love it! Not so fond of it if I have to drive in it. But by and large pretty positive!

Can you ice skate?

Yes - very badly. I always remember it being more fun than it is!

Do you remember your favorite gift?

My favourite gift is a silver watch that my husband gave me as a Christmas present. Which was a bit of a chance on his part as we’d only been going out a couple of months - and I’m still wearing it!

What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

Making time to see everyone. And enjoying the family being together.
And having lots of other adults around to look after children!

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

Sherry Trifle. My Grandma made the best! We’ve never got it quite as good as hers, but we make it every year.

What is your favorite tradition?

Christmas stockings! Everyone in our household gets one - even the cats get something!

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving?

Both! It’s nice to give something that people really want, or to receive something that you like and can make the giver feel really good about giving!

What is your favorite Christmas Song?

Phoebe’s Christmas Pudding song!

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?

Probably yum. We don’t tend to have them so much over here, so they become more for decoration than for eating. But I have eaten them, and I never met a sweet I didn’t like!

Ever recycled a Christmas present?

Yes.
Unless you regularly give me presents; in which case - no, never!

Now you know more than you've ever wanted to know about my answers to random Christmas questions.
Consider yourself tagged!

No comments: